Petersberg Climate Dialogue Satellite Event on Industry Transition: Demand Side Policies to Create Lead Markets
This Petersberg Climate Dialogue Satellite event brought together key stakeholders across the public and private sectors to discuss industry transition from the perspective of demand side policies and action.
As very low carbon technologies reach pilot stage and demonstration scale, it is critical to put in place the frameworks to ensure buyer confidence and demand for these ‘net-zero’ products. Ensuring initial demand can act as a tipping point to the sector, which would activate whole value chains in providing net-zero solutions.
This online event, co-organized by LeadIT, Germany and the UK, addressed questions about emerging tipping points for heavy industry sectors, why industry transition is a high priority, and demand side action as a critical element in accelerating decarbonization.
Introduction by Robert Watt (LeadIT Secretariat)
Event introduction by Jochen Flasbarth (State Secretary, Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Germany)
Panel 1: Making Markets for Zero Carbon Steel
Moderated by Jochen Flasbarth (State Secretary, Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Germany)
- Annika Jacobson (State Secretary, Ministry for the Environment, Sweden)
- Heinz Jörg Fuhrmann (CEO, Salzgitter AG)
- Madhulika Sharma (Chief Sustainability Officer Tata Steel)
- Martin Pei (Executive Vice President, SSAB)
Panel 2: Driving Demand for Low-Carbon Cement and Concrete
Moderated by Cath Bremner, Acting Director General, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, UK
- Kyle X. Nicholas (U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Attaché, U.S. Mission to the EU)
- Dinah McLeod (CEO, Global Cement and Concrete Association)
- Giv Brantenberg (CEO Northern Europe of HeidelbergCement)
- Lena Hök (SVP Sustainability, Skanska)
- Shri RP Gupta (Secretary, Environment, Forest and Climate Change, India)
03 May 2021
- 11:30 AM